Transition to Technical
Our goal is to make your transition from military to student life a seamless one. You’ve served our country -- let us help serve you in your career transition. Fortunately, as a qualified veteran and service member, you’ve earned a host of state and federal benefits. There’s also student clubs and veterans centers across the state that can help you make the move from active military to using your skills in a great paying job.
TSTC takes pride in providing the best career training for our veterans and is a strong advocate for veterans to get hired after graduation.
But before you can walk into class on the first day, there are a few things you need to complete.
The following is a step-by-step guide created to assist veterans, service members and their dependents in getting through the admissions process and obtaining your GI Bill benefits.
Apply for Admissions and complete the required admissions process. Veterans are recommended to check their residency status with the Admissions Office.
If your HOME OF RECORD is Texas and you have been discharged within 12 months, please submit a copy of your DD214 (member 4) to the Admission Office. Please visit www.collegforalltexans.com to view other residency waivers available for Veterans and Service Members.
An acceptance letter containing your student ID will be mailed to you.
Apply for your GI Bill and/or Texas Hazelwood Act
Apply for your GI Bill benefits online usingVeterans On-Line Application (VONAPP)
- Form 22-1990 for Veterans using (Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607)
- Form 22-1990e for Dependents and Spouses using Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) transfer of entitlement
- Form 22-5490 for Dependents and Spouses using Dependents' Education Assistance (Chapter 35)
You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the Veterans Administration in 4-6 weeks. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Office.
NOTE: If you have previously used your GI Bill benefits at another school then you will have to complete a transfer form. Please visit the Veterans Center for assistance with the forms below. An updated Certificate of Eligibility will be required by the Veterans Center.
Veterans using Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Division (Chapter 31) are required to submit Form 28-1905. You may request that your VocRehab counselor send the form directly to the Veterans Center.
Submit all required documentation
Veterans are required to submit the following documentation to the Veterans Center.
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- DD Form 214 (member 4)
- Official military transcripts and university/college transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
- VA Form 22-1905 - required for Veterans using Chapter 31
- DD Form 2384 (NOBE) - Required for Veterans using Chapter 1606 or REAP
- VA Form 22-1995 - When changing major field of study or incoming transfer students.
- Valid State ID
- Birth Certificate or Passport
Request Official Military Transcripts from the Joint Service Transcript System, or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
Dependents using GI Bill Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 transfer of entitlements must submit the following documents:
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- DD Form 214 (member) - Chapter 33 transfer of entitlement is exempt, if Veteran is on Active Duty
- Veteran's service-connected compensation claim, decision letter (Chapter 35)
- University/College transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
- VA Form 22-5495 - (Chapter 35) when changing degree plan or incoming transfer student
Apply for Financial Aid
Service Members, Veterans and their dependents are encouraged to apply for Financial Aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Financial Aid Office website.
Register with VA eBenefits
Create an eBenefits PREMIUM account to check your deposits from VA along with the history of your enrollment certification status and months of benefits remaining. You can setup direct deposit or update your address with VA.
To Contact Veterans Services in Your Area:
TSTC in Harlingen or Fort Bend:
TSTC in Marshall or North Texas:
TSTC in Waco or Williamson County:
TSTC in Sweetwater, Abilene, Brownwood or Breckenridge: